Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

stroke and lost the right visual field in both eyes

My wife recently suffered a stroke and lost the right visual field in both eyes. She has been out on short term disability. Her primary doctor has declared her permanently disabled. She saw the eye doctor ONCE back in January and is due for a follow-up in June as she will have completed the prescribed course of therapy. The disability insurance company recently contacted the eye doctor looking for information concerning her disability. He replied to their request, releasing her to return to work without any re-examination or consultation with the occupational therapist. Do we have any recourse?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

what was the reason the primary disabled her ? was it based on her vision ? or other factors?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The decision was based on visual loss, constant headaches (which may never go away) and dizziness.

Hello there

I assume her visual acuity is pretty good in each eye though she has a loss of the fields.....

if you have a letter stating permanent disability that is after the one the eye doc provided which lists the reasons for the disability, this would supercede the ophthalmologist's opinion. He most likely commented on her visual acuity only and not the extend of field loss or headaches, dizziness. The primary doc's opinion in this case overrules. What I would do is to have the primary supply you a letter stating something like this......

It is apparent that the patient has lost a significant part of her visual field, though the visual acuity remains good. It is my opinion that this patient is disabled based on chronic headaches and dizziness which I dont feel will improve. The visual acuity is good however there is extensive loss of visual fields. ......

anyhow, I think the overall picture is that she should be disabled....Dr. Stevens