Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

i have been diagnosed with episcleritis which was treated with

i have been diagnosed with episcleritis which was treated with steroid eye drops 2 weeks ago, then 1 week ago i developed mild dry eye and was given gel eye drops but my vision in my affected eye is still poor and blurry all the time, is this to be expected and for how long untill my normal vision returns, thankyou.

Hello there

my experience with episcleritis and dry eye is that the vision loss associated is mild. In my opinion, if there is significant decrease in vision, you need to be re-evaluated for something more serious such as an iritis which is when the inflammation moves in to the eyeball itself rather than the surface as in episcleritis, Regards XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I AM UNSURE HOW TO GAUGE SIGNIFICANT DECREASE IN VISION, FOR EXAMPLE IF I WAS TO COVER MY AFFECTED EYE I COULD READ THIS SENTENCE 100% CLEAR BUT IF I COVERED MY GOOD EYE ALL OF THIS SENTENCE IS BLURRED AND WHEN I TRY TO FOCUS HARDER IT CAUSES MILD HEADACHE SYMPTOMS. BEFORE I HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH MY EYE MY VIVSION IN BOTH EYES WAS THE SAME, IS THIS SIGNIFICANT DECREASE IN MY VISION? THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.
Yes, it seems that there is a moderate amount of decrease in visual acuity, I do not expect that from the episcleritis or dry eye. There is one exception...and this would be the reason to wait a bit more before seeing the doc again.....here is the exception, sometimes we treat your symptoms with a dilating eye drop to keep your eye comfortable and these blurr the vision greatly.....dilating drops ALWAYS come in a bottle with a RED cap.....some of those can take a week or more to leave your system but in the meanwhile they can greatly blur the vision. SO if you had one of these, not to worry, otherwise, get your eye checked out to be sure. Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I WAS TREATED WITH MAXITROL EYE DROPS, IS THE CAP COLOUR RED WITH THESE? COULD IT BE AN EYE PROBLEM ASSOCIATED WITH ARTHRITIC SYMPTOMS IN CYSTIC FIBROSIS? THANKYOU VERY MUCH AGAIN.

Hello there

maxitrol should not blur the vision, it is not a dilator at all. It could indeed be an eye problem associated with arthritis, I dont think the CF has anything to do with it though.....

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HOW WOULD I FIND OUT IF ARTHRITIS WAS CONNECTED WITH MY EYE PROBLEM?
You first need to be seen and evaluated for the reason your vision is decreased, if you have an iritis as I suspect, you can have blood work looking for a cause, including rheumatoid arthritis, other autoimmune disorders.........Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANKYOU VERY MUCH INDEED FOR ALL YOUR HELP, KIND REGARDS MAGS.
You are welcome, I woudl appreciate an update once your eye is re-examined.