Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

I have had beet red sclera (in the eye) for two months. My

Customer Question

I have had beet red sclera (in the eye) for two months. My eye doctor first gave me antibiotic eye drops, thinking it was an infection. Those made it worse. Then he gave me some kind of mild antihistamine (Pataday) which has not helped either, because I don't think its an allergy. There isn't itching except very infrequently at the upper tear duct in the lid, and my eyes don't really water, except they seem to have a layer of water on top of the lower lid when I first get up in the morning, and it stays there for a while, but its not like tearing. Its worse in the left eye than the right. I'm going to an optometrist, not an optician, should I see an opthamologist? I looked on the eye clinic website and they are all specialists in cornea, retina etc. Nothing like this. Do you have any suggestions, who to even go to for something like this? The sclera and ongoing nature of this condition is not just eye irritation. I've surfed and been outside much of my life, I know what that feels and looks like, and this isn't it. I have also been out of the sun for the past two years, so I don't think sun exposure is a factor. I don't have insurance, I can't afford to go doctor hopping at $200 for the first visit for a new patient, I need to take action in the right direction. And why do doctors charge $200 when all I'm doing is filling out a few forms in the first visit? What a rip off.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

How old are you? Do you have any other medical condition, such as arthritis?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm 56 years old, have BP 90 over 60, and have no other health issues except need to lose about ten pounds. I'm in very good health, except for this eye issue. I'm thinking maybe its some kind of virus.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Perhaps, but viruses are usually self-limiting in a healthy person. I'm more concerned that it may be something more like episcleritis or scleritis. These are inflammatory conditions that affect the deeper parts of the white of the eye. They would not respond to allergy meds or antibiotics. They would have to be treated with steroid medications. If not treated, they can progress to something more serious. These conditions can also be an indication of a deeper underlying condition, such as an autoimmune process. I would recommend that you to see an ophthalmologist. An optometrist would likely end up having to refer you anyways.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I went to an opthamologist and turns out it was more due to dry eye than anything serious.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.
I'm glad it was something simple.