Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

On my right eye, if I look sideways I see a streak of light,

On my right eye, if I look sideways I see a streak of light, like falling stars... very hard to explain. I have no pain and a I can see, but the light frightens me. Do you know what it means?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
How long has this been going on? are there any floaters? how long does each streak last?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It started about five days ago when I was in Arizona. I have had floaters for years. The streak last for a split second it starts from the top of the and goes down. Every time I look to the side.

Hello there

this is most likely a benign condition called a vitreous separation, however, since this is new onset, an ophthalmologist needs to evaluate the eye to be sure that you do not have a torn or detaching retina (low probabilty, but possible). This should be done sometime this week, Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what is a vitreous separation? is that a torn or detaching retina?
Let me explain this a bit. You are having what we call photopsias. The back of the eyeball is full of a gel called vitreous. This gel is intimately attached to the retina and as we age, this gel liquifies, shrinks and pulls away from the retina. The separation of the gel from the retina causes flashes of light to be seen, often off to the side in an arc pattern. If there is a weak spot in your retina, the gel may cause a tear to be formed. You should get your eyes examined in the next week to make sure there is no retinal tear. You need to be seen much sooner if you get new floaters, or a significant increase in the frequency of flashes as this may indicate a retinal tear. Hope this helps.

Dr. Stevens