Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

I have been diagnosed with late onset glaucoma. Though I have

I have been diagnosed with late onset glaucoma. Though I have had pressure monitored many times over the years it never registered high. For this reason my glaucoma went unnoticed. Can anything be done to help me? Is my situation rare?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Do you have any damage to the optic nerves or peripheral vision yet?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I have damage to the optic nerves
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, damage caused by glaucoma is irreversible. The goal of treatment is to prevent further damage. This is done by lowering the intraocular pressure (with eyedrops, lasers, or surgery). Recent studies have also been looking at medications that can protect the nerve (neuroprotection).

Your situation is also not uncommon. There are a percentage of patients who have normal pressures and still have glaucomatous damage. There is a genetic predisposition to glaucoma. We have found over the past 10 years that high pressure is only 1 risk factor for glaucoma. There are several others, such as the appearance of cupping in the nerves, visual field changes, corneal thickness, and family history. Recent technological advances such as machines to analyze the nerve fiber layer have allowed us to detect glaucoma at a much earlier stage, even when the pressure is normal.

All you can do right now is to lower the pressure enough to protect the nerve and halt any progression of damage. Also, I advise all with glaucoma to inform their family members so that they can undergo examination and screening.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Not sure what I am supposed to do here. Am very satisfied with the answer and have passed on the critical information to my family.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

I'm not exactly sure either. I think you have to press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer. Then you may leave a feedback.

Happy Mothers Day