Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

sharp pain in the upper and rear area of my left eye..days apart

Today is May 10, 2009. In January of this year, I experienced sharp pain in the upper and rear area of my left eye. Two different occasions - several days apart and nothing since that time has occurred. For the last three days I have irritation in the mornings in the same area. Since I work on a ranch, I thought it might be allergy, a pit of hay or straw or even some bacteria from rubbing with dirty hands.   Today the upper part of the left eye socket is tender. My only treatment so far is to rinse my eye with clean warm water and use eye drops to rinse out any possible particles. Help..Laura

Hello there

I suggest two things. One is to purchase some drops called Refresh Celluvisc and to use it several times a day in that eye. Also, get some ketotifen (zaditor) and use it 2 times a day for a few days. These are over the counter. The first is very good lubricant and helps with any irritation, such as any particulate from the ranch. The second is for allergies and recently became available without a prescription. I hope this helps. If that eye gets worse, you may have an infection starting and that would need a visit to a doc for a prescription, Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Since I live out in a very rural and remote part of Oregon, obtaining the eye drops you suggest will take a couple of days. In the meantime, I have some contact lense solution called Opti-Free Express by Alcon and an allergy eye product called Sustane Ultra by Alcon. What of using these products or any other homemade solutions? Laura

systane ultra can be substitited for the celluvisc and is similar. I would not use any of the contact solution. Cool compresses (moist towels with cool water) would be very helpful as well, Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Guess I will go with your suggestions and hope for the best. Off to gather up some straggling cows.....Laura
Have a good day, dont hesitate to post back, Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dr. Stevens, Today I went to an optometric physician who gave me a very thorough exam. The result was that he recommended the same items that you suggested. I have a bump on my eye in the area that a contact lens will rest. Surrounding it are some dry and rubbed areas. Seems that this bump is rubbing the eye lid and causing more irritation at night. Once the Dr. added the lubricant to my eye, I had relief from the agitation. You were right and the answer is simple. I just needed to rule out infection or small particles in the lid. This ranch life is new to me (only three years) and everything I do seems to have some filth attached to it. Thanks for your help. Laura
Thank you for the update Laura, I wish you well, Dr. S