Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

What we do or take with an allergic reaction to Sulfacetamide Sodiul Ophthalmic

My daughter is 16 years old and had pink eye so the doctor prescribed Sulfacetamide Sodium Ophthalmic Solution 10% but had an allergic reaction after the first time taking it. Her eye is now swollen, much more red, blurred vision, and alot of discharge I was reading that people allergic to amoxicillan can be allergic to Sulfacetamide so I am upset that the doctor prescribed this in the first place. What can I do to help her? Should we go to ER?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

cool compresses can help immediately, if there is significant swelling, a dose of benadryl can help. You may also irrigate the eye with some streile eye wash. This will remove whatever little residue is left on the eye. If it is not any better in an couple of hours, you can go to an urgent care. Regards