Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

On thursday I got a half moon kaleidoscope on the left side

On thursday I got a half moon kaleidoscope on the left side of my left eye. Then by the afternoon it went into a blackish blob floating around in the eye. My sinuses are bothering me alot and I have sinus presure. it is only in my left eye. Is this something that will go away or should I go see my eye doctor? My vision seams to be okay. I am near sighted and only wear a contact in my right eye for monovision. right eye is for distance -125. I do not wear a contact in my left eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

you are describing the development of a new floater in the left eye. Floaters are things that seem to move across in your vision and are imperfections in the gel in the back of the eye (vitreous). If these are chronic, they are not worrisome unless they are increasing. Since you have developed it recently, you should have your eyes examined. The reason is that this may simply be floaters in the gel, as a normal consequence of the aging eye, however it may also be a sign of a torn or detaching retina. You should be seen in the next few days, however, if you experience increasing floaters, new flashes of light (often described as an arc of light off to the side), or a blind spot or curtain in your vision, you should be evaluated tomorrow. I hope this helps, Sincerely

Dr. Stevens