Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

retina..blurred vision..corner of my left eye, the eye with most

Since I was 9 years old I have been near-sighted. I also have a detached retina but I never asked what that entails. Every now and then I'll get blurred vision while wearing my glasses and now I'm starting to see "stars" out of the corner of my left eye, the eye with most of the bad vision and the detached retina. This started scaring me most when I started getting the stars. I also am starting to have it where part of my left eye I see clearly and the other part is blurred at time along with what I described to you. I read that if not treated you could go blind from a detached retina. Are these signs that I may need sugery or that I should start considering sugery? Also, any extra info you could give me would be great.

Hello there

From the symptoms you describe, I think the retinal detachment is progressing. If left untreated, retinal detachment can lead to worsening vision and hypotony (lower eye pressure) and eventual phytsis. Phytsis is the loss of eye pressure and shrinking of a previously healthy eye. This causes disfigurement of the eye. I do indeed think that these signs may be indication for surgery. You will only know for sure if you get the eye examined by a retina specialist. Even chronic retinal detachments can be repaired so that further damage does not occur and the eye maintains its health and healthy shape and appearance. Let me know if there are any other concerns you had about this issue. Regards XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I wanted to let you know that I don't have the means to pay right now but I will in a couple of days have money in my account to pay you. I really appreciate your answer and I guess I got hasty with asking my questions before checking my account. I promise you will get paid though. I'm really embarassed about this. Embarassed

That will be fine, thank you XXXXX