Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I have a 26 month old boy with a matted up eye. I found a brand

I have a 26 month old boy with a matted up eye. I found a brand new bottle of TOBRAMYCIN 0.03% OP SOL can I give him this and how many drops.

Hello there

how long has he had this? is the eye red ? what color is the discharge?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It just started earlier today and the discharce is a green color. I looked inside his eye and the eyeball itself is not red like pink eye but it is very puffy around his eye

Hello Mike F

this sounds like a bacterial conjunctivitis. Typically I prescribe antibiotics such as the tobra you have. That is the correct concentration, typical dose is 1 or 2 drops 4 times daily. If this is not responding in 2 days, he needs to be evaluated, Regards XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this was orignally perscribed to me a 31 year old man and it says 2 drops in each eye every 4 hours and this bottle has never been opened, but you are saying the same dose for a two year old is ok.

same dose is correct, minor difference is 4 times a day versus every 4 hours could technically be 4-6 times a day.