Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Give me a explanation of a DryEye

Give me a explanation of a DryEye
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

Dry eye is very complex. You may or may not know, the tears that help lubricate the eye are made of 3 different components. One is the actual watery component made in the lacrimal gland under your brow. It is where the water is made and if you get something in your eye or your eye is irritated, this gland goes in to overdrive and causes tears to be produced excessively. Second, is the mucous component and rarely do patients have a deficiency of this (short of chemical burns to eye, as in lye or acid burns). Third is the oily component of the tears and this comes from the glands at the base of the lashes, called meibomian glands.

In people with classical dry eye syndrome, they make less of the watery component and their eyes become irritated and at times can burn, itch, feel like there is something in them and occasionally run due to the irritation that occurs. I recommend using a soothing artificial tear such as Refresh Celluvisc 4 times a day. If this does not relieve your symptoms, you can see an ophthalmologist and he can prescribe you Restasis which can help you make more tears. I wish you well Dr. Stevens