Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

Two weeks ago I had a sudden incidence of floaters in my left

Customer Question

Two weeks ago I had a sudden incidence of floaters in my left eye. I reported to the opthalmic dept of Stoke Mandeville Hospital. They inspected both eyes and reported no evidence of retinal detachment. However, tonight I suddenly became aware of a light in the top left vision of the left eye which moved rapidly across the field of vision. I have no other symptoms. What should I do? (it is 11.30pm on Friday night!).
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Floaters are an indication that the vitreous (the gel in the back of your eye) is separating. This is a normal phenomenon of aging. However, this process can take several weeks to months to complete. During this process, there is a rare but definite chance that the gel could pull on the retina and tear it. Just because the retina was fine 2 weeks ago does not mean that it is not involved now. I tell all of my patients undergoing a vitreous detachment that if any changes occur, they need to come back right away. That is my recommendation for you also. I think that you could wait until the morning, but you should definitely be seen tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Dr Chan - that's most helpful and I will do as you advise. Best wishes, Mike.

Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.
Good luck to you.