Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

eyes..optician says that I have a wavy/crinkled surfave over each eye

I have just had my eyes tested and the optician says that I have a wavy/crinkled surfave over each eye.   He has never seen this before. Is this anything to worry about? Thank you.
What is your age? Do you have any foreign body sensation? What is the vision?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My age is 74. As far as I am aware I have no foreign body sensation. The vision is O.K. using bifocal spectacles.

Hello there

the doc probably noted a common corneal disorder we call epithelial basement membrane dystropy also known as map dot fingerprint dystrophy. It can cause wacy lines, fingerprint looking marks on the cornea that are annoying to some, causing scracthiness. This rarely ever gets bad enough to disrupt the vision at which point lasers can help clean the cornea. I typically dont even mention this to my patients as it is not an issue for most, I would not be worried about this as it is a very benign condition, Regards XXXXX