Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

my daughter 19yrs . after an episode of mumps developed optic

Customer Question

my daughter 19yrs . after an episode of mumps developed optic neuritis with headache and vomiting
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 5 years ago.
How was she treated, did her vision return? what is your question?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes she was treated by an ophthalmologist two weeks ago an diagnosed with 75% loss of vision in her right eye. she is still getting sick however . my question is why is she still getting sick ? what can we do positively to aid her recovery and what are the chances of her getting worse ? what is your opinion on intravenus steroids etc . Kind regards, Conor

Hello there

my opinion on treatment of steroids depends on the severity of the optic neuritis (ON). My inclination in a setting where the patient gets ON after mumps is that I would simply let its run its course. You see, steroids have lots if side effects, and the advantage to taking them only shortens the course of the ON, and does not affect the final vision recovery (visual acuity) and does not reduce chance of recurrence. So a few things that need to be done are an MRI scan and a consultation to a neurologist. If her overall symptoms are worsening, she needs to be evaluated by her primary doc (rather than ophthalmologist) again. I wish her the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
why is the nausea and sickness continueing and is there any further tests that need to be done as she already had an mri scan ?

hello there

what was the treatment that was administered? how long has the nausea been there? is she vomiting? is this getting worse? did she initially have these symptoms ? what did the MRI show? when was it done?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the mri scan which was done two weeks ago was clear. the only treatment administered was painkillers. the nausea has been there from the onset. yes she is vomiting still. its not getting worse but the headache appears to now effect all her head. she now experiences sharp pains in her hands and tummy this is a new development. K ind regards, Conor

Conor

I would think that the sharp pains that are new are an indication of more involvement of her nervous system. I am concerned that things may progress. I am sure she was instructed to return for worsening symptoms and this is what I would advise at this point. I think she needs to be re-evaluated. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX