Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

recently had cataract surgery on both eyes. pupil in right

recently had cataract surgery on both eyes. pupil in right eye will not go down as small as it should. Dr. said part of capsule is keeping it from going compleetely down,says it wont affect my vision, but won't it let too much light in?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
When was your surgery? do you feel excess light gets in now?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my surgery with the big pupil was Apr.23. it's an oblong shape as though part of the capsule is keeping it from going down. In fact thats what the Dr. said He said it only happens 2 or 3 times a year. He's done over 60,000 cataract surgeries. i'm wondering if its going to affect my vision

Hello there

it is my experience when there is iris capture of the implant as in your case, there is not incrased light sensitivity due to too much light getting in. One thing that I worry about in these rare instances is that the eye may remain inflamed after the steroid drops are tapered off. Just make sure to follow up after the drops are tapered and make sure the inflammation is gone. If you have recurrent inflammation, the eye will become red, light sensitive and uncomfortable. Recurrent bouts of inflammation can lead to decreased vision. So the important thing is get in if your eye feels funny at all. Iris capture of the implant as in your case is indeed rare, and typically not a problem, Regards, XXXXX XXXXX