Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

by chance i found that my left eye sees writing caving downwards

by chance i found that my left eye sees writing caving downwards at the start of a word from both the right and left thus the lowest point of the slope is at the middle of the word. also letters will disappear and try to reform while the outer letters of a word can been seen if not looked at directly. there is blurring as well.   I cannot see clearly the number plate of a car until about 5 yards from it even with my glasses on.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
What is your age? when was your last eye exam where a dilation was done?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My age is 75. I had a dilation test on 11 april 2009 and was referred to the eye clinic on the 14th april and had a further dilation test. Both said they could not find the cause and on a chart,(graph form) I could not see any wavy lines whilst looking at the centre spot. I am booked in to the came clinic for further investigation on 9th June
When looking at a church spire it divides into two or three parts. I have cataracts in both eyes but the optians sdeem to think they are not the cause.

this is not a cataract issue for sure. In fact your symptoms almost always are the result of macular swelling as that seen in wet macular degeneration. I would do 2 tests for you and this will rule in or out any issues for sure....1st is an OCT test 2nd is a florescein angiogram....these 2 can help to pinpoint subtle problems so that treatment can be customized for you. I would also suggest evaluation by a retina specialist after the testing is performed. This is the appropriate management, Dr. Stevens