Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

Can a high degree hyperopia (+7.5 D) with accommodative esotropia,

Can a high degree hyperopia (+7.5 D) with accommodative esotropia, that was undercorrected (+3.75 D) cause developmental delays? All milestones met until time to walk.
How old is the infant / child? does he or she have amblyopia?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Did my reply go through?
no it did not....How old is the infant / child? does he or she have amblyopia?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The child, a boy, is 31 months old. No amblyopia. Worn glasses since 6 mos. old---finally did Atropine Refraction test in December and have had the new glasses about 2 months. I should mention he was born at 31 weeks, a twin--fraternal, his twin has no eye issues, neither had ROP. Up until last December we were getting new RX's every 3 or 4 mos.--his eyes would start crossing again. He is very verbal, but not using words and just now really mastering walking. As of today he can stand and clap his hands at the same time.

Hello there

children can accomodate a huge amount to try to bring things into focus. The crossing of the eyes after a while is an indication of undercorrection of the hyperopia. You may or may not know that the same mechanism for accomodation causes convergence (thus crosses in).....In all honesty, my inclination is that the undercorrection should not have contributed to his developmental delays....I have seen plenty of kids who never had any correction till 2-3 years and had normal milestones. Regards XXXXX