Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

complains..once that is was caused by a muscle in her eyes that worked

My daughter always complains about the computer monitor flashing and the TV screen flashing, she says it is hard to look at the permethian board at school because of flashing. I was told once that is was caused by a muscle in her eyes that worked better than ours that caused her to see this. What is that called or is that even true?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
   Kindly give some more information regarding your question-
- what is the age of your daughter?
- any other complaints like headaches, redness, watering of eyes etc?
- does she use any eye glasses?
- when did she have her last eye check up?
Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My daughter is 16 years old. She has her eye checked every year. She does wear glasses as of 2 years, mild RX. She has had this problem since she was very young. She does not complain of headaches, redness or watering eye.

This is a problem with school convencing them she really does have a problem with this. The computers at school this year are better because they got new ones with nice large flat screen monitors, but the permethian boards are a even bigger problem. It is too hard for her to see the screen with lights in the room off.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is anyone going to answer me?????
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
The symptoms you are describing can be due to -
- decrease in convergence muscle power of the eye, which can lead to eye strain and blurring of vision after working on computer or studying for some time.
- increase in intraocular pressure of the eye
- rarely a problem of the retina like retintis pigmentosa, since she is not comfortable reading on the boards after the lights are switched off.
I would advise her to be reviewed by an Ophthalmologist for a complete examination of the eye, including the retina to rule out the above possibilities and to give appropriate treatment.
Regards
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)