Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

Hello, My name isXXXXX and Im in desparate need of

Customer Question

My name isXXXXX and I'm in desparate need of help and very scared of losing my vision. I've been diagnosed with having an autoimmune disorder that's attacking my eyes. I've been suffering for the last 5 years. I lost most of my vision in my right eye. My opthomologist calls what I have "birdshot". I take 15 mg of Prednisone once a day and 2000 mg of Cellcept twice a day (1000mg in the morning and 1000mg in the late afternoon). My vision is not getting any better. I see a rheumatologist that prescribes the medications for me. I also take the following on a daily basis (1500 mg of calcium daily, 1000 mg of vitamin E, mulit vitamins, omega 3), I also take antibiotics (sulfamethoxazole-tmp ds tablets - Monday, Wednesday and Friday). I also take Alendronate Sodium once a week.
I also failed to mention that my left foot swells up very badly on a daily basis.
Thank you in advance for acknowledging my email and my email address isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello MV

I refrained from commenting earlier in case one of the other ophthalmologists wanted to chime in. You have a very rare and difficult to treat autoimmune disorder known as birdshot chorioretinopathy. Unfortunately, immunesuppression is the mainstay of treatment. In cases like yourself when vision has been severely affected, I make sure to send my patient to a uveitis specialist just to confirm the diagnosis. Unfortunately, there may not be any other treatments other than what you have been on. So my only suggestion is to be referred to a uveitis specialist if you have not been to one yet, I wish you well, Dr. Stevens