Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I have a swollen eye lid, I usually get this occurance every

Customer Question

I have a swollen eye lid, I usually get this occurance every few months, I wear contact lenses and keep them in for 3 - 4 weeks at a time. I see my eye doctor once a year and was there about a month ago. I did have a stye about 3 months ago in both eyes, went to my family MD, he told me to apply warm compresses. But, back to my current eye lid problem, it itches a little and when I close it tightly, just a slight hurt and in the morning, slightly pasty. Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 5 years ago.
Is there a tender spot or a bump there now?? Is there any discharge or drainage? vision OK?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No tender spot or bump, there is some discharge I guess since my eye is somewhat pasty when I awake. Once in a while I see a little pimple like form, and if I squeeze it the same result as if I squeezed a pimple. Vision is fine. And as soon as I awake, there is more swelling, as the day goes on not as bad, but still the obvious.

Hello there

it sounds like you have blepharitis which is typically a chronic low grade infection. Blepharitis is an infection of the lids and lashes. Common findings in someone with blepharitis can range from subtle collections of yellow colored debris or flakes on the lashes to not so subtle crusting, clumping on lashes, red eyelid borders with thickening of the lids and oil gland orifices. This is a main risk factor for developing infections in the oil glands which end up becoming styes (we call them hordeolum).

The treatment consists of 3 things and must be done consistently for effective control and cure.

First, you take a warm wash cloth or warm compress and lay it across your lids for 5 minutes (heat must be applied for 5 mins). This helps the oil glands get moving again and helps loosen up the debris on the lashes.

Next you take some baby shampoo and mix it with water (50/50) and use a wash cloth to rub across and cleanse the skin and lashes. This helps remove the debris.

Last, you apply antibiotic ointment, like erythromycin ophthalmic ointment to the base of the lashes.

This regimen helps get rid of or control the infection in about 2 weeks. You may try this without the antibiotic ointment first, but may need to talk to your doctor for a prescription for the erythromycin ophthalmic ointment if your symptoms do not resolve fully.

I hope this helps, this condition is a nuisance for many people and until the diagnosis is made, it can lead to lots of irritation and discomfort.

I wish you well, Dr. Stevens

Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you very much!

You are welcome, Regards