Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

by an eye surgeon that he had macula degenerate

My husband has been going almost blind for the last 6 years. He was told by an eye surgeon that he had macular degenerate. The kind you can do nothing. We have just been trying to deal with it.   He has been getting worse so we went to Midwest Eye Institute in Indianapoois and they said it was definately not Macular and they could not tell him anything except he needed to take an aspirin a day because the blood flow was too slow. That was it after $8000 in tests. I have set an appointment with Cincinnati Eye institute for the end of this month to get a second opinion. Where else do you suggest.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

it sounds like he may have suffered a retinal vein occlusion or ischemic optic neuropathy as this is what we treat with daily asprin therapy. My suggestion would be to make sure you are seen by a retina specialist, your recent testing can be brought over for a second opinion rather than re-doing all the testing. Since this is a chronic problem, you dont need to repeat all that again. In all honesty, sometimes the diagnosis can be challenging but a good retina specialist should be able to decipher the findings and get you the correct diagnosis. Be sure to request the tests you have already had, that will make your visit much more productive, Let me know if you have any particular questions, Dr. Stevens