Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

Over 3 weeks ago had laser surgery to repair a hole in my retina.

Over 3 weeks ago had laser surgery to repair a hole in my retina. I still have floaters, how do I get rid of them. Will they ever go away.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

did the floaters come on at the same time as the tear occurred? were you told there was bleeding in the eye?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes had flashes one night then floaters came immediately thereafter. When to ophthalmologist couple of days later and had laser surgery. No bleeding in the eye. Been 4 weeks since surgery and have been for post operative check up and surgeon is satisfied. But still have floaters? How do I get rid of them or will they still go?

Darren

some times the floaters are imperfections in the gel (vitreous) and settle down over 1-2 months, sometimes there may be some subtle bleeding and that resolves over several months in my experience. Some imperfections are permanent, most settle down and the brain learns to ignore them. You are just recovering, give it some more time, it usually gets better. Of course, if they increase at all, you need to be seen urgently, Regards XXXXX XXXXX