Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Im a diabetic and had taken an eye exam last yr. Everything

Customer Question

Im a diabetic and had taken an eye exam last yr. Everything turned out ok. Now I am concerened. When I look in the mirror I notice a light transparent grey on the iris part of my dark brown eyes. I notice it more when the light hits it a certain way. Otherwise they still look brown. I had my sisters look in my eye and they can see it. Looks as if the brown part is turning transparent. What causes this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
WHich part of the iris is turning greyish? is it the outer rim of the iris?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I looked in the mirror it looks as if its around the pupil then extends out towards the rim. If it is around the rim which doesn't look that way I would like you to give me a diagnosis of the problem.

does it resemble something like this?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not that grey around the rim. More around the pupil. When the lights are on you can see it around the pupil extending out to rim. Not a noticible grey but its there.
can you post a pic or email one?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
need a e-mail address to send pic

Hello there

I saw the photos you sent me, I tend to think it is a very mild case of band keratopahty which is usually seen with folks with chronic low grade inflammation. I found a very early case of band for comparison, internet search typically comes up with very advanced cases where the whole cornea is clouded. It may simply be something else, called senile arcus, which is simply an aging change, that was a picture I posted earlier. Due to the fact that the photos are a bit hard to see, I would want you to get seen for confirmation and definitive treatment, I wish you the best , Dr. Stevens

Here is a pic of early band keratopathy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
lets say it comes with age or inflamation. Is there treatment for this.

Hello there

if it is something due to aging, no treatment, If it is due to inflammation, there may be treatment options to remove it, also important to make sure it does not get worse. Regards