Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

I woke up with a reddish bruise beneath my left eye. The ER

I woke up with a reddish bruise beneath my left eye. The ER doc thought it was pink eye and gave me drops. Five days later I'm itching and developing whitish spots on the outer corner of the left eye and on the outer corner of the right eye. I've had a little blurring, a little pain. Will this go away soon? Should I see another doctor? I can see OK but it's scary.
Can you give some more information regarding your question-
- kindly specify your age and sex?
- are you on any medicines?
- did you have any trauma to the left eye or the forehead etc?
- is there any discharge or redness or swelling of the eyes?
- have you had similar episodes before also?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am 60 and female. Had some blurring lately and sensitivity to light usually when I'm having a migraine. But this is the first time I woke up with a large red bruise beneath my left eye and now this whitening at the innermost corner and at the outermost corner of my right eye. I can see OK, aches a little. Is this kind of bruise typical wth pink eye No trauma. Dr. said she said discharge and the eyelid above my left eye appears swollen.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Waiting to hear response to my previous reply.
Thanks for the information. With symptoms of pink bruise (without trauma), swelling of the eye at 60 years of age needs to be evaluated by an Ophthalmologist. These can be early features of an infection (orbital cellulitis), a bleeding disorder (bruise below the eye). This kind of bruise can occur with pink eye, but is not typical. In the meantime continue using the prescribed eye drops and you can apply cold compresses with ice on the eye to help relieve the pain or irritation. Regards