Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

70 years of age, caucasian, olive skin, brown eyes. During

70 years of age, caucasian, olive skin, brown eyes.     During the past 10 years the perimeter of the iris has become a blue/gray color, the color seems to be working it's way toward the pupil.      What causes this ?     What could I do to reverse the process ?

Hello there

what you have is called arcus senilis. It is basically degenerative changes in the cornea and is very very common and never leads to any issues. This should not cause you any concern as it never causes any changes in vision, here is a picture of an advanced case for you to see, to make sure this is what you have, Have a good day Dr. Stevens

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was vanity that prompted my question.       I had been told that high cholesterol caused the change of color and that a younger person had reversed the process with a strict non-cholesterol diet ...... do you think would be possible ?

Hello there

you wont be able to reverse the process irregardless of diet, I wish we could do something for it, Regards XXXXX XXXXX