Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I have had parotid gland surgery and it left my eye on the

I have had parotid gland surgery and it left my eye on the side of the surgery very dry. I have tried every available drops for extreme dry eyes and I still have problems. One doctor recommended putting the plug in the tear duct. I cannot afford the new product (rest....sp?)What solution do you recommend. Thank You. Jo-Ann

Hello there

When was the surgery? what preservative free tears have you used? why did you not do the plug?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The surgery was February 12 of this year. I have used Vigamox,Soothe XP,Systane, Optive, Genteal Gel. They work for a few hours, some burn and some seem to form a crusty tear residue. By the end of the day my eye burns and I have to keep it closed. I wondered how good the plug works in your opinion. I am sorry I can not pay more but I am on disability and have a very low income. Thank You. Jo-Ann

you can try something called Refresh Celluvisc every 1-2 hours, this is by far better than anything you listed and tried. The plug works wonderfully in my opinion and can work as well as Restasis in someone like you. Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is Refresh Celluvisc an over the counter or prescription only? How long should the plug last? Jo-Ann

Hello again

Celluvisc is over the counter indeed, the plug typically lasts a couple of years, can easily be removed if it is bothersome, I would recommend it, Dr. Stevens