Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Why is my vision still so blurry nearly 10 weeks after retinal

Why is my vision still so blurry nearly 10 weeks after retinal reattachment surgery? The gas bubble is nearly gone, but my vision looks like I am under water. What is a realistic timeline for improving vision? Do you ascribeto the use of any supplements? Bilberry and Gingko are widely endorsed, but is there any evidence of these helping?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

what was the reason for the retinal detachment? Have you had cataract surgery before? when was the last visit with the doc? how did things look?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had retinal reattachment with a scleral buckle and gas bubble of February 26th. The reason for the detachment is not known. I have not had cataract surgery, altho I do have a progressive cataract in the operated eye.

Hello there

there are several things than need to be taken in to consideration. First and foremost, after buckle surgery the eyeball length changes and this causes the prescription of the eye to change. Once the eye is stable the glasses have to be readjusted. More importantly, OFTEN after gas bubble and vitrectomy, a cataract forms and progresses rapidky actually and needs to be removed for optimizing the vision potential out of the eye. Your eye doc can let you know at the next visit what the best next step is, if the cataract is mild, get glasses, if not , get cataract out then get glasses 6 weeks later. I wish you the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Please let me know if you have any further questions, Regards XXXXX XXXXX