Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

I operated my right eye for glaucoma about 10 years..eye

I operated my right eye for glaucoma about 10 years ago. Ever since then I have been on drug and I cant even see with the particular eye. My rescent test shows I cant see with it again. Is there anything possitive I can do to revamp the situation? Can I ever stop using drops as I am tired of it? Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, damage to your optic nerve from glaucoma is irreversible. The goal of treatment is to stop the ongoing damage, but damage that has been done cannot be undone. It sounds like your right eye suffered significant damage prior to your surgery 10 years ago.

The key right now is to make sure that the damage has not gotten worse. If it is progressing, then your doctors would need to do something else to stabilize the pressure and the damage. You may need more surgery if the tests are getting worse from glaucoma. If the tests have been stable then nothing else needs to be done at this time.

In terms of the eyedrops, whether you can be weaned off of them depends on many factors, such as how low is the pressure and how stable is the damage to your vision. If you stop the drop, the pressure may elevate again and your vision may start to deteriorate again. This is a question that can only be answered by your doctor evaluating how your eye pressures have run over the years and how your tests have run over the years.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I cant see at all with the right eye. The tension is not too high. The eye drop is actually meant to slow the it down. Be informed that there is lense plantation after the operation. When the doctor knew I could not see with it why planting the lense, even wasting my money. Does it mean the lense cannot be replaced to enable vision? Or it not possible to handle it ones for all, I mean do away with the tension at once. Is there a particular treatment I really need to put an end to the eye tension stuff?

Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

First, we'll address the intraocular lens implant. When someone has a cataract along with another disease (ie. glaucoma), it is very difficult to determine how much of the reduced vision is from the cataract and how much is from the glaucoma. I will usually talk and explain this to my patients. I will then try to give the eye the benefit of the doubt and do the surgery just to see if we can get any improvement whatsoever. Therefore, even in light of another disease, I think that sometimes it is worthwhile to remove a cataract and insert an implant in order to maximize all we can for that eye. Also sometimes removing a cataract may improve the control of the pressure in the eye and help the glaucoma.

If after the lens implant and checking for glasses, the vision is still not improved, there is nothing left to be done (provided there is not some other cause of decreased vision, such as retinal swelling or corneal swelling).

The only way that I know of to "do away with the tension once and for all" is to perform surgery so that eyedrops are no longer needed. Of course there is no guarantee that the surgery will be successful enough to do away with the drops.

Hope this helps