Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Age 53, nearsighted all my life. Bilateral cataracts/lens implants

Age 53, nearsighted all my life. Bilateral cataracts/lens implants in 2005. I developed clouding again and had YAG lasers bilaterally in 03/09. Family history of early cataracts. One sis had retinal detachment x2, and her son had as well.

I had no insurance or regular followup until a charity helped me see the doc and get the YAGs. In the last year I had flashing lights in the periphery. When I finally did see the eye doc, I mentioned and he wrote it off to the artificial lenses. He did a thorough eye exam and said I had some 'latticing' but no actual tears. I've not had the flashing lights lately and the YAGs made everything perfect until 2 days ago, when it seemed like I started seeing the flashing lights again. The right eye also seems to have a little patch that appears like a light when I close my eyes, and sometimes seems like a dark patch when my eyes are open, but not clear what exactly it is. Have not called doc for fear of $ and because he just examined. Any ideas?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

Lattice degeneration places you at higher risk for detached retina. Your new flashing lights and floater needs to be evaluated again. You can not place a $ amount to your vision, you need to figure out a way to get this examined in the next day or so, Dr. Stevens