Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

IF YOUR OPTICL NERVES ARE SWOLLEN & THE CT SCAN CAME BACK CLEAR

IF YOUR OPTICL NERVES ARE SWOLLEN & THE CT SCAN CAME BACK CLEAR WHAT WOULD YOU THEN RECOMEND OR DO YOU JUST DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT?
Category: Eye
Expert:  smugrnch replied 7 years ago.
Who told you that your optic nerve was swollen?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

AN OPTHMOLOGIST, WHEN THEY DILATED MY EYES. BOTH OPTIC NERVES WERE SWOLLEN, WHEN I WENT BACK AFTER THE CT SCAN THE FOLLOWING WEEK I WAS TOLD THAT THE RIGHT NERVE HAD GONE DOWN BUT THE LEFT NERVE WAS THE SAME. I WENT TO MY PCP AND HE SAID THAT IT SHOULD BE FINE SINCE THE CT SCAN WAS CLEAR.

Expert:  smugrnch replied 7 years ago.
any loss of vision or recent sinus infections or sinus problems?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
NO SINUS INFECTIONS OR PROBLEMS, I WENT IN FOR MY YEARLY VISUAL EXAM FOR NEW CONTACTS & GLASSES. EYES SEEM ABOUT THE SAME, LOTS OF "FLOATERS", SOMETIMES THINGS SEEM "DIM".
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

I am an ophthalmologist, what is your age and gender? what is your weight? do you have headaches? what medical problems do you have?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am a 43 year old female, 5'6 appro 155 lbs, I have no medical problems, I do have headaches, to me they seem like pressure. If I push on my temples or the my brows by the nose it seems to relive it while I am applying pressure, they seem like dull pressure pain if that makes any sense.

Hello there

If you have swollen optic nerves on both sides, a headache, I would be concerned about something called pseuotumor cerebri - this affects overweight women usually but can affect normal weight women and men - both optic nerves show swelling, if you have continual headaches that come daily and you did not have this before, you need to see a neurologist and they need to do a spinal tap to deteremine opening pressure in your spinal fluid. This helps confirm or rule out this disorder and appropriate treatment can be initiated, Regards XXXXX

Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist