Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

I woke up this morning with a purple spot below the inner corner

I woke up this morning with a purple spot below the inner corner of my left eye that is smaller in size than a dime. It doesn't hurt at all. I do not recall hurting that area. I did get a little soap in that eye while taking a shower yesterday morning but I've had that happen before without waking up the next morning with a purple spot like this. I've never had this before. What could it be? Doug Dawson
   You most probably have had a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This a small bleed in the conjunctiva. This can happen after a trivial trauma, like rubbing of eyes, in high blood pressure etc. The blood vessels of the conjunctiva (white portion of eye) are very fragile and can bleed easily. As long as there are no other symptoms like pain, watering, photophobia, blurring of vision in the affected eye, there is no need to worry. The bleed will resolve slowly in the next 15 days or so. If there is some irritation, then you can use lubricating eye drops like refresh tears/optive etc (available OTC)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dr. PG, Thank you for your help. The purple spot is not in my eye, but below the eye in the tear duct area. I did rub that area yesterday using a knucle and believe it is from that, just as you said. I will use this service again and I think it is great! you are great too! Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
you are most welcome.
The purple spot again is a bleed in the skin and should be all right in the next 15 days or so.