Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have noticed a dark spot on the exterior of my right eye.

Customer Question

I have noticed a dark spot on the exterior side of white part of my right eye. I wear soft contacts but only for 8 months. Right eye has been draining for 5 days mostly late night when I have been reading in bed. Prior to this I am at then end of an eyelid infection about week now.. Matches the posterior blepharitis symptoms. Started with right eyelid..itching scaling at back of eye. .then spread only a little to left eye. Thought had gotten rid of it with tossing any makeup and sponges - because it looked like bacteria. Then when was outside this weekend the wind and allergies kicked in and it seemed to combine with sinus infection and the circles under eyes got darker esp on the right eye and went down lower under normal circle (like lower sinus infected-never had before) Eyelids better over last couple of days-- took antihistmines, did compresses, cleaned with mild soap. Had this 6 years ago and lasted 10 days. But now noticed a dark spot on the white part of eye on side that has been draining.. The spot is about 1/8th inch round light brown discoloration. Have been wearing soft contacts - but grabbed an old pair and cleaned and wore them 4 days ago. Wonder what to do next. Should I be worried. No eye pain - no blurring of vision, more light sensitivity, only tightness on eye lid from pealing and raw where scales come off in am and in the exterior corner where drains. The spot came after 16 hr day on computer. What to do next as infection is clearing up but the spot??. .
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
Where exactly is the dark spot? Is it possible to post a picture of it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have just send you the best image I could get on my phone. It failed once going through but we will seee if you get it. Could you give me a phone to send the picture to ??

Here is a description of it.. As you look at the Right eye ( with 12 being top and 3 oclock near the nose, 9 on the ear side ) then the light brown spot is located from 7-830 on the white section of the eye. It is double the size of my pupil. . and is seems to be about half way back from the pupil.

On the infection - the skin on back eyelid has pealed since this morning but the swelling on eyelid is gone, the purplish color from front sinuses in nose area is reduced. .(though still have the bags under the eyes typical spring sinus) The temperature of the eyelids has returned to normal on the left eye but still is a bit warm on the right where the infection began. This is the eye which found the spot.

Last time I had this infection once the temperature dropped, the eye lids pealed and I had a free eye lid peal - very nice free beauty treatment. . but am concerned with the darker spot which has happened when have spent too much time writing or reading.

Launching new biz in this economy is very challenging but will make a great story someday.

Thanks for your help. .sorry to chat so.