Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

I have just noticed a small black spot on my eye. What could

I have just noticed a small black spot on my eye. What could this mean?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 5 years ago.

Hello there

is this something that you can see in your vision or is this something on the surface of the eye that is visible to an observer?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is actually visable from an observer. I am familiar with floaters but this is on the surface.
Ok, when did you notice it? do you work with metal at work? is it on the white of the eye? is it painful, do you have foreign body sensation? is the eye tearing? is it large enough for you to post a pic of it? your age?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just noticed it this morning. I do not work with metal but was sanding my deck yesterday to get old stain off. The spot is on the colored part of the eye. Probably not large enough to post but it is visable. I just thought it looked strange
It is unusual for you to get something on the cornea which is in actuality a clear window into the eye (sits in front of the iris and pupil) and you not feel it. But if you see something there, it is probably something that went in the eye and is stuck in there. You can try to get some eyewash (bausch and lomb or walmart brand is fine) and use the squeeze bottle to try to flush it out. If that does not work, it can easily be removed by an eye doc tomorrow. You can wait till tomorrow to deal with this if it is not bothersome and your vision is fine. Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It actually seems to be under the surface and not something that is just in my eye. I used some eye drops this morning but it didn't help.
Hmmmm, then you either noticed something that was there in the past or something that came up overnight on your iris. This could be an iris cyst or a freckle. If I could see it I would give you a diagnosis but you will have to let me know once you have it looked at.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay. I did my best to take a photo of it. It is located at the bottom of the eye a little to the left from the center. Kind of blurry though.graphic
Pic is very hard to interpret. Does it appear to be raised or a flat spot on the iris? does it move around in the eye?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It looks flat and is stationary.
It is probably a freckle...on the iris, most likely an iris nevus.graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's probably it. Its not symetrically round but its close. Thanks for your help!
They can be oval, sometimes pentagon shaped with corners, so long as it is flat, nothing to worry about. They dont pop up over night. It is interesting you just noticed it. Let me know if it turns out to be something different. Regards
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist