Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

What is the procedure for inserting a Jones tube and what are

Customer Question

What is the procedure for inserting a Jones tube and what are the adverse effects (if any)?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

have you already had a DCR surgery? how has this been determined to be the correct procedure?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I have had 2 eye surgeries where small silicone tubing was put in each eye and after 3-4 months removed. My eyes are still tearing down my face and at my last Ophthalmologist's visit, my doctor tried to flush both ducts to see if they were still opened with no success. I was told that scar tissue had formed and it would be necessary to insert Jones tubes. My surgery is scheduled for April 30th.

Hello again

the surgery is a lot like a DCR, obviously it is in the same region under same sedation protocol. The inly difference is that a small test tube like tube that is open on both ends is inserted instead of a silicone tube. Also, the silicone tube goes through upper and lower lid (usually) and stays in place and is later cut out. The glass only goes through the lower lid (in the corner really) and is functional shortly after (not when the tube is cut as in silicone). The glass tube basically is a open passage between the nasal cavity and the lid and takes the tears away to reduce runnning. I think that is about it, Regards XXXXX XXXXX