Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Robert Lee

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello Robert

I am an ophthalmologist, did you have a question?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
About 30 minutes. ago I was polishing a machine part with a hand held wire wheel. I was wearing a pair of sunglasses with safety glass. A 1/2-inch yellow wire from the wheel broke off and went between the glasses and my eye and came to rest in the top part of my eye just to the left of the diagonal center axis about 1/4 of the way down. It penetrated that spot with approximately 1/64   inch of the wire. Initially when my eyelid closed I felt a tremendous amount of pain from the wire scratching on the back part of my eyelid. I grabbed my eyelash and kept it open as best as possible. Unfortunately, I have a very strong blinking reflex ( which kept me from being able to get contacts) and that kept pressure on the wire for considerable period of time until I begged my kids to remove it with a pair of tweezers. It took me five minutes to take control over my eye allowing me to look down long enough for her to grab the wire and hopefully remove the object from my eye. During the removal period my eye welled a bucket of tears but now it is open red, non tearing, blurry, 5% better vision then 45 min ago,as far as pupal dilation my whole family already has eye problems and when we did a test on my good eye to see if they could detect a change in pupal size to the presents of light, none could. Another 30 min has gone by and my vision is still hazy but I now have complete sight in my eye. My main question is can this wait till morning? I know you have to recommend the ER and that is dulelly noted. What would you do knowing that there is a very slight chance that the Doc that sees me at the ER knows anything other than eye trauma. As far as getting lucky and having a visiting Dr. that in the field that is working tonight or visiting someone at the hospital will be called by the ER Doc to check on me while having an HMO, well you do the math. Well to finish, the pupal is small, a red line of blood runs from the top of the eye at the injury site to the bottom. the size of the line is about as wide as a very thin piece of wire.
I look forward to hearing from you!

I read the entire thing , I am unclear on one thing....did the wire hit the cornea which is the clear portion that sits in front of the color of the eye (iris) or the sclera which is the white portion? Where is the streak of blood?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It hit the top left of the cornea and the streak of blood was also in the cornea but is gone now.

I think from what I hear, the risk of this penetrating deep into the eye is minimal. Dont rub the eye and get seen 1st thing in the morning by an ophthalmologist. They will put you on antibiotics and this is crucial. That would be the only argument against going in tomorrow....delay in antibiotic application...however given it is 1025, and you wont be seen before midnight and may not get the medicine by morning anyways....I think it can wait till the am. Regards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your honesty. God Bless You!

I wish you a good night, be sure not to rub the eye....take care....Dr. S

I was curious, what was found?