Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

My right upper eyelid has been swollen and red for the last

Customer Question

My right upper eyelid has been swollen and red for the last two days. My vision doesn't seem affected at all. It is mostly along the lower edge of the lid where the lashes meet and a bit toward the inside corner. I work in a lapidary shop, and it is possible that a piece of glass or rock may have hit the eyelid while I was grinding it down, but I don't see a wound anywhere, just redness over the lower half of the eyelid. What should I do to make this go away?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.
Is there any drainage or is there any scratchy sensation to the eye? do yo basically see a small red bump at this point?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't see a small red bump, and there is an itchiness of the eyelid, but not a scratchy sensation to the eye. It does feel like there might be something in it occasionally, maybe a few times a day, but if I blink two or three times, that goes away.

Hello again

My inclinatin is that you have an infection in an oil gland of the lid. We ophthalmologists call this a hordeolum. This will probably go away if you are vigilant with heat packs. Get a heat pack, not a wash cloth since those cool down fast and apply it to the lid at least 4 times a day for 5 minutes at a time, and it will go down or open up and drain. It may take 1-2 weeks for it to go away fully. If it is any worse tomorrow, you need to get seen so they can make sure there is no foreign body in the lid, Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I wanted to apologize for not leaving you feedback after you answered my question. It looks like it's too late to do so now. I do want you to know that your advice was absolutely dead-on and probably the best medical advice I've ever received. The condition was gone within three days and has not returned. I'm prone to oral bacterial infections as well, and the heat sessions are very effective with those too. Thanks so much for an excellent answer!

Best wishes,

L.G.