Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

ophthalmologist see light flash ( shaped like left parenthesis)

ophthalmologist? see light flash ( shaped like left parenthesis) in left corner of left eye when i look to either side- whatsup?
How long have you had this problem?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just noticed it this am - only notice it in the dark - had it for a few hours, since 8 am
This may represent the earliest signs of a retinal detachment. This is something that should be seen by a ophthalmologist urgently. Since this is Easter Sunday, I suspect that you are not going to find any ophthalmologist offices that are open.

If you have an ophthalmologist - call their answering service to see if they can see you TODAY. Otherwise - I would recommend a visit to the ER to have this checked.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i know the link between seeing lights and retinal detach - is there an opthamologist online?
Unfortunately, none of our ophthalmologist are online this AM.

I answered your question because we didn't have any ophthalmologist online, and I did not want your question to go unanswered for an extended period of time.

I will opt-out and send a Email to one of the ophthalmologists to alert them to your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you

Hello there

I am an ophthalmologist, I can help

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
see light flash ( shaped like left parenthesis) in left corner of left eye when i look to the side- esp to the right side, whatsup? just noticed it this am - only notice it in the dark - had it for a few hours, since 8 am , but becoming less vivid (know the link between seeing lights and retinal detachand vitreous hemorage - both seem very unlikely?)
WHat is your age, are you very near sighthed, have you had surgeries before? do you see ANY new floaters or changes in the vision?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
f 59, had floaters since teen,wear 200 readers, excel health, no meds, c-sections, no probs, have had zigzag flashes - fortress something before, maybe twice a few years ago - went away in less than an hour as i remember, eye doc then said not to worry
OK, these new flashes are not like the old ones I assume. I think you are having a vitreous separation which many people experience. Things that would tip the scale towards a retinal tear which can cause vitreous hemorrhage and detachment of the retina include......new floaters, a new spiced web like object in the vision, lots more flashing or a blind spot in your retina.....This is worrisome and needs urgent followup today, otherwise just see your eye doc tomorrow. Does this seem reasonable to you....
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
dont have new floaters or web like objectsor blind spot, just the flash when i move my eyes - and i have to go into a dark room to experience it - dont notice it in the light, and it is becoming less and less as the day goes on but i will call opthal on Monday thanks

You are welcome, this is most likely nothing to worry about, just be sure to get it checked out as we discussed, have a good day, happy easter

Dr. Stevens