Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

i it normal for me to see colored images in my eyes right before i get a severe migrane

my mother had a brain anuerism and her mothers father. i used to only see those in my eyes every so often but here lately it has progressed to a couple of times or more a week. i dont feel anything at first when i start seeing the images but i know that very shortly afterword i will have intense pain and pressure in my head that might last for an hour or more but the visuals usually stop within 10 to 20 minutes.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

Hello there

I see patients with similar symptoms quite often. Folks often describe a bright or colorful pattern (sometimes wavy or zigzag in nature) and it can be in one eye and moves to the other, sometimes affecting the central vision. Sometimes there is a headache following this as well. This is called an ophthalmic migraine. The names can be confusing. Think of it this way:

only the visual symptoms - no headache = ophthalmic migraine (also known as ocular migraine).

headache with an aura is called a classic migraine (headache with some peculiar visual warning / episode prior to headache)

Migraines are common and typically require no treatment, except for more rest, less stress, etc. Sometimes caffeine can help shorten the episode. Since this is occuring more often, you need to see your doc for consideration of prescription medication for the control of migraines. I hope this helps answer your question, if not, just let me know, Regards

Dr. Stevens