Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I have aching pain behind my right eye. It has come and gone

I have aching pain behind my right eye. It has come and gone for the past year. When I look to the side it turns into a stab instead of an ache. I've had this for 3 or 4 days straight as in the past. Then it will go away for a while. Would this be allergies since the pollen is high? I've taken Advil and Fioricet and it dulls a bit but doesn't go away. I'm a 39 year old male and feel stronger than I ever had except for this pain. Help!

Hello there

most common symptoms of allergies and allergic conjunctivitis include itching and burning of the eyes, running of the eyes, redness and irritation. Many people have significant sneezing and runny nose. Your symptoms are more suggestive of chronic sinus infection (chronic sinusitis) and this would require a course of antibiotics. You need to be evaluated with a sinus x-ray to see if this is indeed the case. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens