Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

right seems to be weeker in left eye than right..eye drops

when i close my right eye my left aligns properly but vision seems to be weeker in left eye than right, and when i open right eye left turns outward but vision is fine when both are open or when just right is open and left is closed. Treatment recomendation? Atropine eye drops?
How old are you? how long has this been an issue? why do you think atropine can help?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

22, I believe its been an issue most of my life, but was unrecognized by eye doctors cuz of the simple fact i did good on eye examinations. I believe based on the fact that when i close my right eye the other aligns that the blurring effect of atropine will force the left eye to work harder and develop to be stronger

when you look straight ahead with both eyes open, do the eyes look misaligned??

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes the left appears to turn outward to the left while the right stays centered when i look forward.

Hello there

atropine works for certain types of accomodative strabismus issues (alignement issues). At 22, it simply wont help. If your eyes are misaligned and this bother you, the only real treatment is to get eye muscle surgery which is fairly straightword. Many insurances will cover this surgery as it is not cosmetic. Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
After surgery what typically happens effectiveness? Does vision improve in weak eye (left eye) Do glasses have to be worn or sunglasses after surgery?
vision will not improve beyond what a set of glasses can do for that eye, meaning there will be no more strengthening of the visual acuity. Youwould not need to wear glasses unless you were in a dirty or dusty environment and only for about 2 weeks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How effective is surgery typically for this? Percent wise ? And why is it when i close right eye my left aligns normally ?
it aligns normally because it is actually tracking solo when one eye is covered hence it tries to center on whatever you are looking at. Surgery is probably about 90% successful at alignment. The eye may drift out again after a few years, and repeat surgery can be done.