Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

Four days after cataract surgery I developed a pseudo migraine

Customer Question

Four days after cataract surgery I developed a pseudo migraine in my eye (no flashing lights etc. just the uncomfortable feeling that preceeds a migrain plus a headache that could last all day. A further three days on and the retina became detached. No action was taken here and the retina restored itself. I have had this aggresive discomfort in the eye every day for five months now. The surgeon who performed the operation and two opticians have all said there is nothing wrong with the eye. My sight is fine, but this situation is proving very difficult and depressing. Can you make any suggestions pleasae?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 5 years ago.

Hi Maggie

what exactly do you mean by "aggresive discomfort in the eye every day for five months now" ? What is your age?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Age 68 years. The surgeon did make a diagnosis of Tempural arteritis but a blood test ruled this out.

By aggresive discomfort, I mean the discomfort in the eye that preceeds a migraine.

My own family general practitioner is also at a loss to understand what is going on.

One further clue, when I put my reading glasses on, which are very mild lenses, the discomfort in the eye disappears - when I take them off the discomfort returns. With my layman's knowledge there seems to be a connection. One optician did suggest a pair of reading glasses with stronger lenses - which seems pointless.

I can see at a distance without spectacles. When I have no discomfort in the eye I can read the newspaper perfectly well without any glasses. Some days I can have just one or two brief patches of discomfort with no headaches, then on another day I can be bothered with the pain and headache until I go to bed. A darkened room also improves the situation.

Hope all this helps.

Maggie

at your age, temporal arteritis is still a concern. The sedimantation rate that we order for TA is not always correct. If the symptoms are there, sometimes it is a good idea to see a rheumatologist so he can further assess your physical findings to see if you need a biopsy of the temporal artery to prove whether or not arteritis exists. This may be an important first step. Obviously, you may also be more light sensitive than the average person since you had a lens replacement and the new lens is much brighter. Perhaps just get a bifocal with a very light tint to see if it improves your symptoms, this would be worn most of the time. Besides this, I cant think of anything else to pursue. Obviously, I would make sure your eye has no inflammation whatsoever, and your doc should have told you if there was any. I wish youthe best, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your response, but as the blood test was negative regarding tempural arteritis I can see no point in proceeding further down this particular road.

Also I can see no point see no point in bifocals.

There is no inflamation in the eye whatsoever.

Maybe this is one of life's annoying problems?
Customer/p>

the test for temporal arteritis that is done via blood is a non-specific test that simply checks the amount of inflammation in the body. It can be wrong in 5% of patients. I have had folks who have temporal arteritis where both the sed rate and c-reactove protein were normal. There were other symptoms, such as lingering headache, eye pain, pain when chewing foods for an extended period of time, mild fevers / chills, malaise, mild weight loss, some weakness in standing up from a chair (this is more chronic). If you have none of those symptoms (besides the eye discomfort) it is pretty reassuring that you dont have TA. Regards