Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

white stuff has been coming out of my eyes for seventeen years

Customer Question

white stuff has been coming out of my eyes for seventeen years i have tried loads of eye drops do not work takes over my lie it is that bad
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
What is your age / gender ? describe the white stuff? is it both eyes? is it mucous like and stringy? have you been tested for dry eye? what medical problems do you have?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am 37 years old female no medical problems yes is a mucouse and string and can get very itchy when droping down my eyes always picking it out drives me mad.

Hello there

From the sounds of it, you have tear deficiency Dry Eye Syndrome. Dry eye is very complex. Lets talk a bit about this now so you know what is happening. You may or may not know, the tears that help lubricate the eye are made of 3 different components. One is the actual watery component made in the lacrimal gland under your brow. It is where the water is made and if you get something in your eye or your eye is irritated, this gland goes in to overdrive and causes tears to be produced excessively. Second, is the mucous component and rarely do patients have a deficiency of this (short of chemical burns to eye, as in lye or acid burns). Third is the oily component of the tears and this comes from the glands at the base of the lashes, called meibomian glands.

In someone who has lots of mucous as in your case, the water portion is under-produced and the mucous becomes overwhelming. You need to get a good lubricating eye drop such as Refresh brand Celluvisc and use it 4 times a day. If this does not help, you can see an eye doctor who can assess your tear production and if need be, give you a prescription called Restasis which can help you make more tears and reduce the mucousy discharge. The celluvisc is over the counter. I also recommend applying heat packs to the lids so that the oil glands also drain better as I find that many people also have poorly draining oil glands. I hope this helps, Dr. Stevens