Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I had laser eye treatment last year and have since suffered

Customer Question

I had laser eye treatment last year and have since suffered from dry eyes. I have tried eye drops, eye baths and flaxseed oil to improve. I have also now taking brighteye drops. Cannot seem to resolve the problem, do you have any advice?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

what type of laser did you have? was is Lasik or similar laser to correct for glasses?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I had a Lasik treatment from Optical Express around about May last year.

Hi Paul

Lasik is notorious for causing dry eye symptoms due to the fact that the surgical flap severs the corneal nerves and hance leads to decreased tear production. You can see your eye doctor if the lubricants are not helping enough and go about one of two ways....1st there are these little plugs that help your eyes maintain there tears, called punctal plugs, 2nd and more feasable is a medication call Restasis that helps us make more tears. Restasis is an eye drop that helps us make more tears, and many of my Lasik patients are on this since dry eyes are a common outcome of Lasik, Regards XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is this a short term problem?

Also are there any natural rememdies?

This can last for months or years. Natural remedies are few. flaxseed is something you have tried and can be helpful. I know that using heat packs can help stimulate oil output from the lids and this often has a tear stabilizing function. Very oily artificial tears can be helpful, such as Refresh Celluvisc. Main thing is to find a lubricant (tear) without preservative so that frquent use of it does not lead to irritation from the preservative. That is probably the most helpful thing to use, Regards XXXXX XXXXX