Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

red eyelid borders with thickening of the lids and oil glands

Dr. Steven's, Hi! Just wondering I have the red eyelid borders with thickening of the lids and oil glands but not the other symptoms, do I have blepharitis? Chronic, please explain? Customer
I just replied at the other question. I just cut and pasted this here for you...

We all have bacteria on our skin. This is basically an overgrowth of the bacteria on our lashes and a propensity of the oil glands to become boggy and drain poorly thus becoming suspectible to infection (stye in the oil gland). It is chronic because people seem to get it over and over unless they exercise good lid hygeine as outlined above several times a week. I hope this helps, Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr. Stevens, So I HAVE blepharitis? Do I need to use baby shampoo? I have Suave shampoo and VO5 Herbal Escapes will this work instead? I don't have baby shampoo.

without examining you, it is hard to say for sure. But your symptoms sound like blepharitis for sure and this is so common that I can almost bet this is what you have. The treatment is simple enough and it cant really harm your eyes so it is worth doing. As far as shampoo is concerned, any shampoo would work but baby shampoo is less likely to be irritating to the eye. Use the shampoo that has no fragrence. Of course, you dont have antibiotic ointment, but most of the time, you dont have to have it for resolution, Regards XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr Stevens, Thank you very much. I have never had this before and the bag that I am getting under my left eye is quite disturbing. Thank you again for the professional advice and if I ever have another eye question I will certainly ask you! I will use the treatment you suggested.

Victoria, Tx

You are welcome, I hope it helps, Dr. Stevens