Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Can sinus pressure cause blood vessels in the white of the

Can sinus pressure cause blood vessels in the white of the eye to burst?

Hello there

do you have a sinus infection ?? what is causing the pressure there? any caughing, sneezing, runny nose?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have very runny itchy eyes! No coughing or sneezing. My nose would run, except it's always plugged! I use nasal spray for that about 4 times a day. I have had this problem at least 2 yrs.(the bleeding) It has occurred less times since my kidney doc reduced the amount of immune suppressants. (I had a renal transplant in 1999) Also I seem to bruise easily. I have gone to the eye doc, twice, but no success. Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.
Janice Lucas

Hello Janice

sinus infections do not directly in any way lead to surface bleeding on the eye. The term for the bleeding on the eye is called a subconjunctival hemorrhage. While it can be pretty scary looking, it isn't a serious problem. It happens when a blood vessel in the conjunctiva (the white part of the eye) breaks and releases blood. This often tends to occur after frequent sneezing, coughing, after rubbing the eye or for no apparent reason. It tends to happen more frequently in people who have high blood pressure or you use blood thinning medicines, such as asprin, motrin, plavix, vitamin e, coumadin, among others. It can also happen more when there are seasonal allergies and the eyes are red as the blood vessels are dilated. The blood will be reabsorbed into the body within a week or so. There is nothing you can do to make it go away sooner. Usually, there is a sensation of the eye feeling slightly full, or a mild pressure sensation and using artificial tears can help with this symptom. This is directly linked to whatever is causing you to bruise easily. I hope you find this helpful, Dr. Stevens

This link has a pic of a very small hemorrhage