Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

Double Vision after getting hit in eye.

Customer Question

I got hit in the eye yesterday. I could not open the eye yesterday. I woke up today i can open the eye and there is a little bit of swelling around it. It's not swelled up too much. The bone around my eye hurts a little. When i look down it hurts and there is double vision. When i look up there is double vision too. It hurts to move the eye in all directions. I heard it could be the trapdoor fracture. Is it possible that this could go away on its own? I hate getting surgery or getting checked out by the doctor. Is there any way i could check myself?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

In adults, the most likely thing is that you have swelling in theorbit and this is why you see double, however there is a distinct chance you have an orbital floor fracture and it may need repair. This is something you need to see an eye doctor for, both for orbital evaluation and evaluation of the eyeball, as typically there is traumatic iritis to be treated as well. You need to be seen, Regards