Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

My son was playing yesterday evening & when another childs

My son was playing yesterday evening & when another childs hat was stuck in a tree he grabbed a stick & was trying to get the hat, in doing so he said either a piece of the stick or something got in his eye. We flushed it with water & put visine in it because it had become so red we couldn't really tell what was going on. He said it feels ok if his eye is closed or held open, but hurts when he blinks. We cannot see anything. This morning it is swollen. I'm not sure what type of doctor I should take him too. Or should I wait & see if it gets better. He is thirteen.

Hello there

he should be seen by an ophthalmologist to determine the extent of the injury. It may simply be a corneal abrasion, a scratch on the surface, but typically those heal almost overnight with fewer symptoms in the morning. He should be checked out to make sure there is no foreign body left in the eye or lids. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX