Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

My son shot himself in the eye with a BB. He said his eye was

Customer Question

My son shot himself in the eye with a BB. He said his eye was closed and there isn't a BB in his eye. He is having a lot of pain now. This happen 6 hours ago. His eye doesn't look like anything happen. There is one little red dot on the white park of the eye. Should I now rush him to the hospital or wait 5 hours till his Dr. comes into the office?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 8 years ago.
Can you give some ore information-
- kindly specify what is BB?
- how old is your son?
- did you wash the eye or put any eye drops?
- any watering from the eye or swelling?
Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It was a plastic BB. His age 12. we washed the eye out. eye is watering a little. I don't see swelling.

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the information.
If the injury was very forceful, then he would need to be evaluated for presence of any bleeding inside the eye. First of all you need to give him a pain killer like tylenol/ibuprofen. Ask him to close the other eye with his palm and look through the injured eye. If there is any blurring of vision or diminished vision then he needs to go to ER. But if vision is fine and there is pain relief after medicine, then you can get an appointment as soon as possible with an Ophthalmologist. But if there is no relief in pain despite medicine, then he needs to go to ER.
Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He is sleeping right now do I wake him? Or do I wait till he wakes up?
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 8 years ago.
if he is sleeping, that indicates the pain is less. So, let him sleep and check when he wakes up.
Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you...
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 8 years ago.
you are most welcome.
Regards
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 8 years ago.
It would be better to give him tylenol rather than motrin in cases of eye injury.
Regards