Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

I was diagnosed with epischleritis in my R eye in May 2008,

I was diagnosed with epischleritis in my R eye in May 2008, about 11 mos ago. Now I seem to have what the opthamologist believes is a chalazion in the lower eyelid of the very same eye. I am currently using Tobradex ointment, for 2 weeks now, and am also scheduled for a steroid injection in about 4 weeks (scary!). I have a fair bit of surrounding eye area pressure which is difficult for me to describe, as it has been present since the time of the episcleritis. The Tobradex has helped; my tears don't fall down my cheek in the morning any longer. But the pressure feeling is still there, all the time. ALSo, I can breathe out this R nostril better since using Tobradex. I don't have a cold, nor any sinus infection. What do you think is going on with my R eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

is there actually a bump on the lower lid? if so, how long has it been there?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Great question. No. No bump. I have a round red "growth" (?) in my lower eyelid which I first noticed sometime before Christmas just after revisiting my optometrist. I went to see him because I was experiencing the pressure feeling and my eye was slightly 'bloodshot', so I thought that perhaps I had the beginning of the episcleritis again. (Which, by the way, was quite noticeably disgusting as my sclera proceeded to turn almost completely bloody red last May 2008.) ALso, I never had a "pus-filled" anything, nothing that ever drained, and I would know this. Both my optometrist and opthamologist know all this.
I 'waited', so to speak, before getting the referral to the opthalmologist because I figured it would either resolve on its own, or not. When it didn't, I brought it to my optometrist's attention in late February. It's now April, and my injection is scheduled for May 4th.

Sometimes, chalazia present a bit more indolently. They are simply blocked oil glands in the eyelid. Sometimes, they can even have an internal protruding componenet that causes lots of surface irriatation and pressure sensation. The injection you are to have is a steroid injection and really is "no big deal". I do them all the time and they often help due to their anti-inflammatory nature in the lid. I suggest vigourous heat packs if there actually is a red "anything" in the lid as it can help reduce the size of red (inflamed) tissues. Make sure to use a soothing lubricant to reduce the redness on the eye, refresh Celluvisc is a wonderful tear to use. I wish you best luck, Dr Stevens

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. What else should I know about this steroid injection? Painful? Should I get this injection done a couple of days before a 9 day family trip to Costa Rica, or would it be best to be home? What can I expect after the injection? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The injection does sting and hurt a bit but it will be safe to travel afterwards and requires no additional care or oral antibiotics or anything like that. It can give you a little bruise so if you want to be 100% certain the pictures wont show a bruise on your lid, you may get it done once you return, Dr. Stevens