Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I had major eye surgery 6 weeks ago. This required stretching

I had major eye surgery 6 weeks ago. This required stretching my upper lid. The lid is still swollen and slightly closed. Can I expect the lid to return to normal over time? How long can this take? Can you suggest exercises or even medication/vitamins? I am 61yo, so I know the muscles may not rebound. But, given that the surgery was 6 weeks ago, what is your prognosis?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
What type of eye surgery did you have ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had a retinal reattachment, with scleral buckle and gas bubble, on February 26th.

Hello there

that is a very involved surgery and lots of swelling and lid drooping (ptosis) is normal. We wait three months to see where things end up, until then it is too soon to tell. The fact that you still have some swelling means there is room for improvement yet and not to be overly concerned at this time. It is possible and very probable that it will return to normal over time, Regards XXXXX XXXXX